- Initial bonding strength The bonding strength of the water-based PU adhesive is similar to that of the solvent-based PU adhesive. The bonding strength can reach above 2.5kg/cm, and successfully meets production requirements.
- Posterior tension There is no significant difference between the water-based PU adhesive and the solvent-based adhesive with regard to final bonding strength. For materials with more mesh pores and permeability, such as mesh fabrics, genuine leather etc., the posterior tension of water-based PU adhesive may even be greater than that of solvent-based adhesives.
- Heat resistance Water-based PU adhesive and solvent-based products show identical performance results during heat resistance testing.
- Resistance to yellowing and deterioration Yellowing resistance of GRECO’s water-based PU adhesive is tested to reach above Level 4.
- Waterproof The water-based PU adhesive and the solvent-based adhesive both have the same waterproof properties.
- Overall cost for use of adhesive In the early stages, when replacing solvent-based products with water-based product, the operators won’t be familiar with the adhesive, and this could increase costs slightly. However, as operating skills improve, costs will gradually decrease to be solvent-based equal or even lower than the costs associated with using solvent-based adhesives. In addition, since the effective composition for bonding of the water-based PU adhesive is nearly three times greater than that of the solvent-based adhesive, if the factory is able to manage staff effectively, after only a few training sessions, costs can be reduced significantly. The air pollution caused by the VOCs will also be reduced. Therefore, if the costs of the material, labor, and other expenses are taken into consideration, the differences between the two products are minimal.
- What are the fundamental differences between water-based PU adhesive and solvent-based adhesives? Physical property difference ：
a. The most significant difference is that the water-based PU adhesive does not contain organic solvents; whereas solvent-based PU adhesive does.
b. Water-based PU adhesives differ greatly from solvent-based adhesives when comparing color (water-based PU adhesives have a milky white color), solid content, viscosity, and yellowing resistance (water-based PU adhesives are yellowing resistant, whereas solvent-based PU adhesives are not).
c. Water-based PU adhesive is non-flammable and non-explosive making it safe for use and storage.
- Why is the price for water-based PU adhesive higher? The effective composition for bonding in water-based PU adhesives is three times higher than in solvent-based PU adhesives, and the manufacturing cost for the water-based PU adhesives is far greater than solvent-based adhesives. These factors increase the price.
- Will the use of water-based PU adhesive cause the shoe production efficiency of the factory become better ? At the initial stages of water-based PU adhesive usage, employees’ production efficiency may be affected due to unfamiliarity with the product. However, after some training, production efficiency will improve. GRECO can also assign technicians to be stationed in your factory until production line stability improves.
- In terms of material permeability, which is better, water-based PU adhesive or traditional PU adhesive? Solvent-based Adhesive PU adhesive has greater permeability; however, it is not environmentally friendly. But, with continued R&D, water-based PU adhesive will eventually replace solvent-based PU adhesive.